People are becoming increasingly aware of the versatility of cannabis. Whether you’re looking for a happy cerebral high, a chilled-out post-work sesh, or some long-lasting medicinal relief, you’re bound to find a strain that suits your needs.
The great news is that there are loads of ways to consume this wonderful plant aside from smoking it. It can be vaped, turned into concentrates and extracts, and even made into delicious edibles. The latter is particularly useful to peckish tokers because certain strains are known to cause extreme hunger – known as the munchies. By turning your stash into a tasty treat, you get to enjoy its effects while also sating your appetite – everyone’s a winner!
In this post, we’re going to show you how to make marijuana pizza. This lip-smacking savory delight will silence your rumbling stomach and leave you with a huge smile on your face. Epicureans rejoice!
Weed Pizza – The Lowdown
Pizza and weed go together like ketchup and fries! But before you start, you’ll need to decide which cannabis strain you want to use – and believe us, there are a lot of choices! Take some time to browse through i49’s extensive catalog and read the strain descriptions. Some people like to make edibles from a strain with a strong terpene profile – one that’s going to compliment the flavors of the chosen toppings. Others prefer something more subtle. Feel free to experiment – not only will different strains produce differences in taste, they’ll also bring a suite of different effects.
Where to add the cannabis in your pizza?
Next, you’ll need to decide at which point in the recipe you want to add the cannabis. There are a few different ways of doing this, and in this blog we’re going to focus on the two most popular methods – adding cannabis to the dough, and adding cannabis to the topping.
Here’s one way of decarboxylating your cannabis:
- Heat the oven to 225° F.
- Place a sheet of aluminium foil into the bottom of a baking tray, crumpling it slightly.
- Crumble up the cannabis – keep the chunks about the size of a grain of rice. Any smaller and you risk burning your stash.
- Spread the cannabis over the foil, and gently lay another piece of foil over the top.
- Cook the cannabis for about 45 minutes. Check occasionally to make sure it doesn’t burn. When it’s done, it should be toasted and golden brown.
- Let it cool for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- When it’s cool enough to touch, you can put it in a storage container and use it for future cooking projects!
A few words of warning before we begin our kitchen adventure. You might be a regular cannabis smoker, but the effects are very different when it’s eaten. Generally speaking, the effects take a lot longer to manifest, but they can be much more intense. To keep the experience pleasurable, always stick within the recommended dosage. As a rule, the absolute maximum amount should be half a gram of cannabis per person, but inexperienced users will need a lot less. Also, as tempting as it may be, you should never combine cannabis with alcohol. When you sit down to dine, instead of cracking open the beers, reach for a soda instead. You’ll thank yourself for it later!
For both these recipes, you’ll need cannabis oil. To save time, you can buy it ready-made, but it’s pretty easy to make your own if you’re feeling adventurous.
To Make your own Cannabis Oil
There are a few different ways of making cannabis oil, but this one is our favorite.
You’ll need 16 ounces (1 pound, or approximately 2 cups) of extra virgin olive oil and 1 ounce (30g) of decarboxylated cannabis. This will make a large batch of oil that you can use for all your culinary cannabis needs. You’ll also need a crockpot and some mason jars.
- Fill the crockpot with warm-to-hot water – enough to cover the top of the mason jars you want to use. The top of the mason jar should be about an inch below the surface of the water. Some people like to place a towel in the bottom of the crockpot as it can help prevent the mason jars from cracking.
- Heat the water to 185° F, then turn the heat to low.
- Divide the olive oil equally between the mason jars – leaving a gap of about half an inch at the top.
- Grind up the cannabis, and evenly divide it between the jars.
- Put the lids on the jars. Finger-tightness is fine – don’t tighten them too much. Wipe away any excess oil from the edges.
- Ensure the water in the crockpot is at 185° F, then carefully place the sealed jars into the water. Place the lid on the crockpot, and leave the oil to infuse for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, carefully remove the lid of the crockpot, and take out the mason jars. Leave them to cool.
- Once the jars are cool enough to handle, strain the oil using a funnel and paper filter. This will remove the plant matter from the oil. You can save the cannabis pulp for use in future recipes.
- Put the filtered oil in a storage jar and leave it in a cool, dry place. You can extend its shelf-life by keeping it in the fridge or freezer.
Cannabis Pizza Method #1 – How to make Weed Pizza Dough
This recipe will feed four people. You’ll need:
– 400g flour
– 200 ml water
– A pinch of salt
– 2 tablespoons of cannabis oil
- Step 1: Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, and knead the mixture together. Sprinkle your fingers with flour to make the dough easier to handle. When the dough no longer sticks to your hands, it’s ready.
- Step 2: Let the dough stand for up to 20 minutes. If you’re in a rush, you can shorten this step to 10 minutes – but the longer the better. Good things come to those who wait, after all!
- Step 3: Sprinkle some flour on a clean surface, and roll out the dough into a pizza base. Some people like the base to be thin and crispy, others like it thicker. The choice is yours, but the key is not to go too thin or too thick.
Top Tip – the pizza base doesn’t have to be circular. It’s sometimes easier to create a rectangular pizza – and it all tastes the same!
- Step 4: Next, it’s a case of adding the tomato sauce and toppings of your choice. You can make your own tomato sauce if you like, or you can use passata. Once the topping is evenly-distributed across the pizza’s surface, you can add the cheese.
- Step 5: Pre-heat the oven to 365° F (185° C). Pre-heating is a very important step so don’t try and cut any corners here. Cook the pizza for about 15 minutes – the exact cooking time will depend on the thickness of your dough and the distribution of toppings.
When it’s cooked, leave it to cool slightly and then enjoy!
Cannabis Pizza Method #2 – How to make Cannabis-Infused Tomato Sauce
Another method of cooking a gorgeous weed pizza involves putting the ‘secret ingredient’ into the topping instead of the dough.
You’ll need to make the dough using the method outlined above, but instead of using cannabis oil, use extra virgin olive oil.
To make the sauce you’ll need:
– 80g of chopped tomatoes
– 4 tablespoons of cannabis oil (homemade or purchased)
– Half a cup of water
– A small onion
– Garlic clove
– Salt and pepper
- Step 1: Heat the oil over a medium heat. Chop the onion and crush the garlic, and add them to the oil.
- Step 2: Cook until the onion is soft and golden, but do not allow it to burn as this will negatively impact the sauce’s flavor.
- Step 3: Add the tomatoes, water, and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 4: Keep on a low heat, stirring occasionally for a few minutes.
- Step 5: Cover and leave on low heat for a couple more minutes.
At this point, you can take the sauce off the heat and add it to your pizza. But you can make it even better by giving it a quick blast in a blender. This will remove any lumps of onion and garlic, and will make the sauce even smoother and more delicious!
- Step 6: When the sauce is ready, add it to the pizza dough. Then add the cheese and other toppings, and cook in a pre-heated oven at 365° F (185° C) for about 15 minutes (depending on the thickness of your dough and amount of toppings).
A few Words on Toppings…
The choice here is really up to you, but it’s best not to overcrowd the pizza with a smorgasbord of different flavors. Some of our favorite combinations include:
- Cheese and tomato with green peppers and chilli
- Cheese and tomato with mushroom and sweetcorn
- Cheese and tomato with ham and pineapple
- Cheese and tomato with pepperoni and chilli
- …and, of course, the classic Margherita!
Cannabis Pizza—A few Final Points
Here we’ve shown you two of our favorite methods for cooking a delicious marijuana pizza to share with your best buddies. There are plenty of other recipes out there, though – so don’t be afraid to experiment!
As always, we’d love to hear from you and answer any questions. We’d also love to see photos of your culinary cannabis masterpieces – so be sure to tag us on Instagram.
The most important thing to remember is that consuming cannabis through edibles is very different to smoking it. So always err on the side of caution, using as little as possible at first until you fully understand your tolerance levels.
Apart from that – it’s over to you. Get ready for a fantastic-tasting treat that’ll quash your hunger pangs and leave you with the biggest of grins. Happy cooking!